Green Burial Council Approved
The Green Burial Council is an independent, tax-exempt, nonprofit organization working to encourage environmentally sustainable deathcare and the use of burial as a new means of protecting natural areas.
Green Burial Council Standards/Eco-Rating System for Funeral Homes
A. J. Desmond & Sons Funeral Directors
Each GBC approved funeral home will be given a rating based upon the following additional criteria that is met:
- Provider allows for the families of decedents to have the option of a public viewing without embalming or with the use of GBC approved post-mortem fluids.
- Provider carries at least three GBC approved/rated burial containers.
- Provider accommodates home vigils without embalming or with the use of GBC approved post-mortem fluids.
- Provider has at least one staff member who has participated in educational training (minimum six hours) approved by the GBC, which covers technical, practical and ethical issues of eco-friendly funeral service
- Provider makes available the sanitation, preservation, and restoration of a decedent with the use of non-invasive techniques/materials (required for a “three leaf” rating)
1 criterion met earns a “one leaf" rating
2-3 criteria met earns a “two leaf” rating
4-5 criteria met earns a “three leaf” rating