We Continue to Care.
The service is over. Friends and family have returned to their usual routine. Final affairs are being addressed. Isn't life supposed to be getting into a new routine? But the grief is painful and ever present, and the routine now feels so empty.
Death ends a life, it doesn't end a relationship. Time, energy and space are needed to mourn and to transition. For many, sharing with those who understand is helpful. For some being in a quiet space is beneficial. For others, both the sharing times and quiet times help work through the pain of grief. Eventually, there will be a "new normal." One in which memories will be cherished, and that treasured relationship will continue on.
A pioneer and leader in grief support, A.J. Desmond & Sons Funeral Directors provides the most comprehensive aftercare program in the area. Led by Linda Dzbanski, LLMSW, BSW, we call it PERSPECTIVES. Providing multiple forms of support and companioning, we offer programs, services and information that are available as long as needed. To help meet the needs for those we serve, as well as others in our community, A.J. Desmond & Sons provides PERSPECTIVES at no charge.
- Emotional support for individuals and families experiencing loss
- Educational support for those experiencing loss
- Specific information on community resources and groups designed to help bereaved families
- Assistance to churches, hospitals, schools and other interested groups with educational programs on personal loss and grief management
- The grief support program, Take Time to Heal, is offered throughout the year. This program is designed to assist anyone in the community who is dealing with the recent death of a loved one. Visit Upcoming Events for more information.
- The Healing Begins is half-day workshop is for anyone who has recently lost a loved one and is looking for an introduction to the bereavement process and resources. Visit Upcoming Events for more information.
- An on-going support group for widows and widowers. Contact Linda or for more information.
- An on-going support group for parents who have lost children. Contact Linda for more information.
- A book study group that will focus on different grief books over 4-5 weeks. Contact Linda or visit Upcoming Events for more information.
- Special events during the year including our Coping with the Holidays.
- Every other year we host nationally known speaker and grief counselor, Alan Wolfelt, Ph.D. His next visit will be October 2024. For the latest information, visit Upcoming Events or A.J. Desmond & Sons Facebook page.
- Speakers are available for any group on subjects related to funerals, cremation, burial, bereavement and recovery. Contact us for more information.
- The funeral home is available to school groups, church groups, hospital groups and community groups as a resource center for tours and information. Contact us to learn more.
- An extensive lending library at the funeral home in Troy is available to anyone seeking information on the subjects of dying, death and bereavement. Contact us for more information.
- Visit the GriefWords Library to read essays for the bereaved and for caregivers, written by Dr. Wolfelt.
- Visit Grief is Love Lost to listen to audio articles about moving through grief, by Dr. John Canine and Eli Zaret.
- Visit Online Grief Resources to sign up for 365 Days of Grief and to learn about additional online resources.
- Also online we offer suggested readings at the Desmond Grief Library's well as other local and internet resources.
- We regularly post articles and links about grief and bereavement on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ajdesmond.and.sons/
- For bereavement information or assistance, please contact us at (248)362-2500 or CrooksRd@AJDesmond.com.